Useful files to download
At Bloxham Primary School, we want children to recognise and understand the importance of Science in our daily lives. We believe in a hands-on approach to science through investigations and experiments which provide opportunities for children to be curious, explore ideas and test out their theories. We want all children:
- To develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- To develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them.
- To be equipped with the scientific knowledge and skills required to understand the uses and implications of Science, today and for the future.
- To use a range of methods to communicate their scientific knowledge including ICT, diagrams, graphs, charts and reports.
- To develop a sense of excitement and curiosity about the world around them
- At Bloxham School we implement an ambitious, well-sequenced curriculum that is progressive throughout the whole school and gives full coverage of, ‘The National Curriculum programmes of study for Science 2014’ and, ‘Understanding of the World’ in the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Lessons are sequenced carefully and where appropriate, Science is taught in topics
- Careful attention is given to the progressive development of subject-specific vocabulary
- Teachers use targeted and specific questioning in class to test conceptual knowledge and skills, and assess children regularly to identify those children with gaps in learning, so that all children make appropriate progress
- The teaching of Science involves adapting and extending the curriculum to match all pupils’ needs.
- Disciplinary knowledge (how to do science), is developed alongside building substantive knowledge
- We build upon the learning and skill development of the previous years. As the children’s knowledge and understanding increases they become more proficient in selecting and using scientific equipment. They can collate and interpret results and become increasingly confident in their growing ability to come to conclusions based on real evidence.
At Bloxham Primary School, Children have weekly lessons in Science throughout Key Stage 1 and 2. In Early years, science is taught through the children learning about the world around them in their learning through play. Additional opportunities are provided for children such as Outdoor Learning and through our celebrated Science Week which happens once a year.
As part of the curriculum our children learn:
- Seasonal Changes
- Forces and Magnets
- States of Matter
- Earth and Space
- Evolution and inheritance
A successful Science curriculum will ensure that all children will:
- Have developed the skills associated with Science as a process of enquiry
- Have developed an enthusiasm for scientific learning and discovery
- Have developed their understanding of nature and the world around them
- Be equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the Science for today and for the future.
If you would like to do more exciting experiments at home, then check out this website full of ideas for you to try at home! Bring in photos of your experiments at home to share at school!
www.science-sparks.com/ (EYFS and KS1)