Useful files to download
At Bloxham Church of England School, we value every child’s spiritual, emotional and social development. We recognise that every child is unique and encourage each individual to explore their own beliefs and faith through the power of reflection. We encourage a deep respect of all faiths and understanding of the Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Hindu religions.
The Agreed Syllabus (2017) Intent
The Agreed Syllabus sets out to help children:
- understand the nature, role and influence of different religions, traditions, beliefs and lifestyles in the world;
- pursue a personal quest for meaning, purpose and value;
- formulate reasoned opinions/arguments in relation to controversial issues and truth claims;
- develop an understanding of, and respect for, different beliefs and lifestyles.
Discovery RE Intent:
“Our belief is that, using an enquiry-based model well, children’s critical thinking skills can be developed, their motivation to learn increased, and their knowledge and understanding of, and empathy with people and their beliefs, religious or otherwise, will be enhanced. This approach takes very seriously the philosophy that children are free to make their own choices and decisions concerning religion and belief. RE does not try to persuade but rather to inform and develop the skills with which evaluation can take place.”
We recognise that the implementation of our RE teaching needs to ensure depth, accurate subject knowledge, detailed planning and builds on the children’s prior learning.
“Discovery RE advocates an enquiry model (recommended by Ofsted in “Religious education: realising the potential”, 2013) with a 4-step approach as the basis for implementation. Every unit (enquiry) is based around a key question. The key question for the enquiry is such that it demands an answer that weighs up ‘evidence’ (subject knowledge) and reaches a conclusion based on this. This necessitates children using their subject knowledge and applying it to the enquiry question, rather than this knowledge being an end in itself. Discovery RE focuses on critical thinking skills, on personal reflection into the child’s own thoughts and feelings on growing subject knowledge and nurturing spiritual development.”
A successful Religious Education will ensure that all children will:
- have a deeper understanding of the nature, role and influence of different religions, traditions, beliefs and lifestyles in the world
- have an inner-sense of meaning, purpose and value
- be able to formulate reasoned opinions/arguments in relation to controversial issues and truth claims
- have developed an understanding of and respect for different beliefs and lifestyles
- be able to talk with confidence and respect about the religions they have studied