Useful files to download
At Bloxham Primary School our aim is to inspire children to have a love of Mathematics and develop a deep and secure understanding of the concepts within Mathematics. This will enable all children to leave Bloxham Primary School with secure knowledge, well prepared for the next stage of their mathematical learning journey and ensuring that they can approach this learning with confidence and achieve success.
National Curriculum Intent
The national curriculum for mathematics aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- Can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions
Our curriculum is carefully designed to ensure all pupils achieve exceptionally well in Mathematics. Our teaching is supported by the White Rose and National Centre for Excellence in Mathematics (NCETM) resources. This ensures that teaching progressions are clear and well sequenced with small steps which enable all children to develop a secure understanding of each mathematical concept. Through this style of teaching, cognitive load is reduced which supports children in making progress and provides an inclusive learning environment for all children.
This is achieved by ensuring that children have:
- Access to a wide range of carefully selected physical and pictorial models and representations which enable children to develop a concrete and deep understanding of concepts
- Exposure to the use of correct and consistent mathematical language used by both children and adults.
- Opportunities in school and at home to develop fluency in all areas.
- Explicit teaching of fluency within Mathematics lessons
- Access to Times Table Rockstars and are encouraged to use this and other online games to enable them to develop fast recall of multiplication and division facts.
- Practice opportunities planned into lessons such as counting, number facts and on the boil.
- Math lessons include a wide range of problem solving and reasoning for all pupils. Resources such as the NRICH website are used to support this: https://nrich.maths.org/primary
- Teachers who have excellent subject knowledge and participate in the local NCETM hubs to develop teaching and a Mastery style approach to Mathematics.
At Bloxham Primary School we will see success in Mathematics through children who are engaged in and enjoying Mathematics lessons. Pupils will be confident in approaching a wide range of problems and in using mathematical language correctly. This will be evident in carefully planned lessons that provide opportunities for all pupils to succeed and make excellent progress in Mathematics. Teaching will be developed as we continue our journey embedding approaches from the NCETM hubs programme. Regular monitoring, training, and coaching across the school ensures that those consistent approaches are being used in all year groups to best support progression