This policy statement has been developed in accordance with the Education (Governors’ Allowances) Regulations 2003. These regulations give Governing Bodies the discretion to pay allowances from the school’s annual budget allocation to governors for certain expenses which they incur in carrying out their duties. Bloxham Church of England Primary School Governing Body believes that paying governors’ allowances, in specific categories as set out below, is important in ensuring equality of opportunity to serve as governors for all members of the community and so is an appropriate use of school funds. The specific items allowable reflect this objective. The policy wording is taken from the National Governor’s Council model policy.
All governors of Bloxham C. of E. Primary School will be entitled to claim the actual costs, which they incur as follows:
- Governors will be able to claim allowances providing the expenses are incurred in carrying out their duties, as a Governor or representative of Bloxham C. of E. Primary School, and are agreed by the Governing Body that they are justified before any reimbursable costs are incurred.
- Governors will be able to claim for the following, on a case-by-case basis and with the prior approval of the Chair of the Governing Body:
- Childcare or baby sitting costs (excluding payments to a current/former spouse or partner);
- Cost of care arrangements for an elderly or dependent relative (excluding payments to a current/former spouse or partner);
- The extra costs they incur in performing their duties either because they have special needs or because English is not their first language;
- The cost of travel relating only to travel to meetings/training courses at a rate in line with school personnel;
- Travel and subsistence costs, payable at the current rates specified by the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, associated with attending national meetings or training events, unless these costs can be claimed from the LEA or any other source;
- Telephone charges, photocopying, stationery, postage etc;
- Any other justifiable allowances.
The Governing Body at Bloxham C. of E. Primary School acknowledges that:
- Governors may not be paid attendance allowance;
- Governors may not be reimbursed for loss of earnings.
Governors wishing to make claims under these arrangements, once prior approval has been sought, should complete a claims form (obtainable from the School Office), attaching receipts where possible, and return it to the School within two weeks of the date when the expenses were incurred. Claim forms will be submitted for approval by the Chair of Governors or Chair of the Finance Committee.